For 2020/2021 every sale's full price was donated back to a non-profit.
The bulk of those donations went to
• Pacific Northwest Ballet
• Humane Society of Seattle
Emerald Ballet Theatre, PNB STARS, ARC Dance, Ballet Met, and Ballet Idaho also received contributions.
For 2022-2030, Dance-It-Out! book royalties are donated to charity. Each book has a designated non-profit supporting animals, environment, people, or the arts:
• The Cat with the Crooked Tail — PAWS (Wildlife Rescue and Animal Shelter)
• Sadoni Squirrel Superhero — Animal Defense Partnership
• Mira Monkey and the Magic Mirror Adventure — (Big Life in 2022)
• Joey Finds His Jump! — (PAWS in 2022/2023)
• The Grumpy Goat — Seattle Humane
• Eka and the Elephants — The Elephant Sanctuary (Tennessee)
• Frankie's Wish — The Price Sculpture Forest
• Sora Searches for a Song — The Nature Conservancy in 2023
• Andi's Valentine Tree — Evergreen Action in 2022 (WA Coalition supporting the environment)
• Petunia Perks Up — Together Center (Housing and Social Services)
• River's Dreary to Dreamy Day — Together Center
• Dayana, Dax, and the Dancing Dragon — WorldReader
• Danny, Denny, and the Dancing Dragon — WorldReader
• Belluna's Big Adventure in the Sky — Carnegie Mellon University
• Ella's Dance Debut — Ballet & Books (Mentor Program)
• Ballerina Wisdom - Ballet Idaho
• Dance Stance — FLOCKWorks Dance (Pacific Northwest Ballet in 2022)
• Daryl and the Dancing Dolls - Ballet Met
• Princess Naomi Helps a Unicorn — Ballet Idaho
• Brielle's Birthday Ball — Pacific Northwest Ballet
• Freya, Fynn, and the Fantastic Flute — Pacific Northwest Ballet
• Danika's Dancing Day — Pacific Northwest Ballet
• Dancing Shapes — (PNB in 2022/2023)
• More Dancing Shapes — (PNB in 2022/2023)
• Nutcracker Dancing Shapes — (PNB in 2022/2023)
• Dancing Shapes with Attitude — (PNB in 2022/2023)
• A Curious Tale (PNB in 2022/2023)
• Ballerina Dreams (PNB in 2022/2023)
• Dancing Shapes Journal (PNB in 2022/2023)
• Konora's Shapes (PNB in 2022/2023)
• More Konora's Shapes (PNB in 2022/2023)
We like to highlight a variety of movement interpretations, so Konora and story characters' movements are often deliberately a little different. We think promoting diverse thinking and a "there's no one right way" message is important. Kids can create dances using 1) illustrations, 2) story text, or 3) Konora's suggestions.
The books are designed to be enjoyed with a teacher or caregiver. The vocabulary and language level reflect this.
We'll send a creative movement story to your dance studio, preschool, or elementary school address. Simply email us your info and book choice (or describe how you'll use the book, and we'll send our recommendation).
Each Dance-It-Out! book has been carefully crafted by a dance teacher with over 20 years' experience and recognized by her local city council for her work with young dancers. A closer look at a book without ballet vocabulary (Brielle's Birthday Ball)...
Along with the subtle dance concepts, Brielle shows that sleep is welcomed and demonstrates good manners and respect. She reminds us that dancing is joyful, and friendship is a treasure.
Each independent Dance-It-Out! story is a kids’ dance performance for the imagination stage. If you attended a series of shows, you wouldn’t expect identical people, choreography, costumes or backdrops. Featured characters include male, female, and nonbinary diverse characters across the series, allowing kids to
The books are illustrated by a variety of artists to have a different feel and texture because each is a different performance. Using multiple illustrators:
With traditional series, consistent layout/illustration is expected. The variety in the Dance-It-Out! stories is noticeable, bringing awareness to visual design factors and ascetics.
The Dance-It-Out! collection offers an international stage, with artists from all over the globe including India, Scotland, Canada, the U.S., Poland, South Korea, and The Netherlands.
There are 18 Dance-It-Out! books published or in process.
Instagram tag (@Once_UponADance) a picture of your child with any 10 Dance-It-Outs! and we'll send a free Dancing Shapes paperback. The Dancing Shapes series is ideal for kids ages 6-9.