We like to highlight a variety of movement interpretations, so Konora and story characters' movements are often deliberately a little different. We think promoting diverse thinking and a "there's no one right way" message is important. Kids can create dances using 1) illustrations, 2) story text, or 3) Konora's suggestions.
The books are designed to be enjoyed with a teacher or caregiver. The vocabulary and language level reflect this.
We'll send a creative movement story to your dance studio, preschool, or elementary school address. Simply email us your info and book choice (or describe how you'll use the book, and we'll send our recommendation).
Each independent Dance-It-Out! story is a kids’ dance performance for the imagination stage. If you attended a series of shows, you wouldn’t expect identical people, choreography, costumes or backdrops. Featured characters include male, female, and nonbinary diverse characters across the series, allowing kids to
The books are illustrated by a variety of artists to have a different feel and texture because each is a different performance. Using multiple illustrators:
With traditional series, consistent layout/illustration is expected. The variety in the Dance-It-Out! stories is noticeable, bringing awareness to visual design factors and ascetics.
The Dance-It-Out! collection offers an international stage, with artists from all over the globe including India, Scotland, Canada, the U.S., Poland, South Korea, and The Netherlands.
For 2020/2021 every sale's full price was donated back to a non-profit. The bulk of those donations went to
• Pacific Northwest Ballet
• Humane Society of Seattle
Emerald Ballet Theatre, PNB STARS, ARC Dance, Ballet Met, and Ballet Idaho also received contributions.
Moving forward, all Dance-It-Out! book proceeds are donated to charity. Each book has a designated non-profit:
• Brielle's Birthday Ball — Pacific Northwest Ballet
• Sadoni Squirrel Superhero — likely Washington Wildlife and Recreation Coalition
• Dayana, Dax, and the Dancing Dragon — TBD
• Danny, Denny, and the Dancing Dragon — TBD
• Mira Monkey and the Magic Mirror Adventure — Big Life
• Belluna's Big Adventure in the Sky— TBD
• Daryl and the Dancing Dolls - Ballet Met (Coming Soon)
• Freya, Fynn, and the Fantastic Flute — Pacific Northwest Ballet
• Princess Naomi Helps a Unicorn — Ballet Idaho
• Petunia Perks Up — TBD
• Joey Finds His Jump! — TBD
• The Cat with the Crooked Tail — PAWS, a Seattle-based wildlife rescue and animal shelter.
• Danika's Dancing Day — Pacific Northwest Ballet
• Andi's Valentine Tree — Evergreen Action, WA Coalition to support political action that benefits the environment.
• The Grumpy Goat — TBD Animal Sanctuary (Coming Soon)
• Eka and the Elephants — likely Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (Coming Soon)
Each Dance-It-Out! book has been carefully crafted by a dance teacher with over 20 years' experience and recognized by her local city council for her work with young dancers. A closer look at the book with arguably the least dance (Brielle's Birthday Ball)...
Along with the subtly-introduced dance concepts, Brielle shows that sleep is necessary and welcomed, and she demonstrates good manners and respect. She reminds us that dancing is joyful, and friendship is a treasure.
There are 18 Dance-It-Out! books published or in process.
Instagram tag (@Once_UponADance) a picture of your child with 10 Dance-It-Outs! and we'll send a free Dancing Shapes paperback. The Dancing Shapes series is ideal for kids ages 6-9.